You walk into an art gallery. You are baffled yet intrigued, confused but exhilarated. Welcome to the world of modern and contemporary art!
The London Art Salon offers something new this Spring. A 6-session introductory course to understanding and enjoying Modern and Contemporary art, but with no slide show, no desks and no classroom.
Led by author and art historian Dr. Marie-Anne Mancio, this romp through the best of modern and contemporary art takes place in London’s best museums and galleries, examining and engaging with stimulating works of art, starting with Impressionism and ending at today’s emerging East London galleries.
Sessions are on Thursday afternoons from 13:30-15:30:
- Jan 17: Impressionism and Post-Impressionism. The big names that kick-started Modernism.
- Jan 24: Birth of the Abstract! An explosive shift away from the recognizable.
- Jan 31: Expressionism - from German angst and Colony Room pathos, to New York street art.
- Feb 28: New Media shakes up the art world, from fiber and found objects, to digital and dance.
- Mar 28: Explore the up-and-coming emerging galleries of East London.
- Apr 4: Enjoy a gallery crawl among Mayfair’s blue-chip exhibitions.
1) There are 'gap' weeks in this course - please check the dates above.
2) No refunds of individual sessions, but a friend can take your place if you have to miss a class.
3) 30-day refund policy.
4) We are unable to guarantee stools in the rooms that we visit so you might have to stand and to walk between objects.
5) No prior knowledge of modern and contemporary art is required.
The meeting point for Session 1 (Jan 17) is in the National Gallery on the ground floor of the Sainsbury Wing - just inside the door, opposite the shop.
There is a cloakroom in the Sainbury Wing entrance.
Afternoon gallery-based course. Price £220 per person for all 6 sessions. Only 16 spaces are being offered.
Find out more about Marie-Anne Mancio